Saturday, October 2, 2010

Thinking Ahead




So I've started to think about my future in EMS. That means I have a lot more questions that need to be answered.

The current program that I have been going through for my EMT-Basic may be offering a 10 month paramedic course sometime next year.

However, I have been reading, listening, and learning that many colleges may have better education standards than the program that I am currently going to. Also, here in Texas you must have a two year college degree to be a "Licensed Paramedic" versus an EMT-Paramedic. They both do the same jobs, and from what I have researched, they get paid the same. I think it is just Texas' way of promoting higher education within the EMS system.

Paramedic title aside, it still comes down to quality of education. Perhaps a local college could have given me a better EMT-Basic education. To be honest, EMT-Basic knowledge and practice is so simple that monkeys could be doing the job. I am fully confident that I learned what I needed to learn and I can perform my duties.

However, the local colleges here have had classes for some time now. Compared to a new program, they may have higher standards. Then again, perhaps the new course that they are setting up will be a good one. It doesn't have a reputation yet.

I just want to make sure that I get a good education. I don't want to be a victim of an EMT mill. (Not saying that my program is one)

The thing about going to an associates degree in emergency medicine is that I would probably have to take the full course. That means I will have to repeat the EMT-Basic curriculum. I'll need to talk to the campus on that, but if it means I will be a better paramedic in the future, then so be it.

I will also explore the program that may be coming available. If it is comparable to the local associates degree in experience, education, high quality curriculum, and plenty of clinical hours, then I may give it a try.

If you're looking to become an EMT or a Paramedic, I strongly suggest you research your local programs. Ask your EMT friends about their opinions. If you don't have any EMT friends, call or visit some local stations and ask. Initial education as well as on-going education is very important in this career field. It is your responsibility to make sure that you can be the best that you can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hit counter