Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Week Four - Day 1

Yesterday was a lot of fun. Rather than going through a lecture and powerpoint presentation like normal, we split up into groups to do some practical skills.

I started off learning how to do a traction splint. I actually was the victim, which I liked because I learn better that way. I know how it might feel (I'm sure it must be much more painful) so when it is my time to actually do it, I feel like I know a bit more about it.

After that we went outside (so that we could get a feel of the environment) and worked on immobilizing the spine, logrolling the patient, and getting them secured and lifted on a backboard.

That whole deal was fairly amusing. Originally, our group of five, didn't learn the c spine or c collar placement as the other groups did. So when one of our guys was in charge of the c spine and calling the roll, not only did he not know that placing the c collar goes first, but when he called the roll, he didn't think to roll the "patient's" head also. The result ended up looking like something out of the exorcist with the "patient's" head still looking up, but her body rolled on the side. We all had a good laugh for about 5-10 minutes. The poor guy.

All in all it was a good, fairly relaxing day. We wore uniforms to school so I got a feel of how new boots feel like crap while you're keeping a patient's spine immobilized while the rest of the team does their job. I enjoyed it a lot.

I've still got some catching up to do. Studying chapters right now so I can complete some exams. My goal is to get a bit ahead of the class, but we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hit counter